Monday, May 18, 2009

Clasps


Choosing a clasp for a piece of jewellery can be one of the most critical decisions an artisan can make. The right clasp will should either add to or compliment a bracelet, anklet or necklace. The wrong clasp can be a disaster.

Some clasps are two gawdy for a delicate piece while others may not match the tones quite right.

A lot of artisans make their own clasps so the final touch is as unique as the entire piece. I'm not quite there yet. I either use the stand-by lobster, toggle or hook clasps but I also like browsing for new takes on the classics.

Today I found the above clasp on etsy.

I love how unique it is yet sturdy and I imagine it would be quite easy to use. This particular artist, Rockis Supplies, has a nice selection that would be the perfect finishing touches for quite a few styles.

-----

There seems to be no end to the type of ladies' clasps out there. They come in every material, shape and style. I have a hard time finding interesting 'manly' clasps for, say, a stainless steel chainmaille bracelet. I think it would be neat to see 'tougher' images used to craft clasps. Motorcycles, skull and crossbones, barbwire. They certainly wouldn't work for every style but they might be a fun touch in some cases.

6 comments:

  1. You are so right about the clasps..I wish i was making my own, too.....maybe some day. I have seen this artsian before and have had my eye on the clasps in their store. Make sure to show up what you create with that clasp.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was wondering how you got etsy to work on your blog...i keep getting the error code that you were getting before...♥MzHoa

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a unique looking clasp! An original clasp design really does make a piece that much more special.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice!! I have checked all contents of your blog; they all are so attractive and gorgeous, but that one you posted is pretty well.
    Bridal Sets

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read and also checked your all contents that are too much reliable. You posted all original and informative contents thats proved helpful for your all visitors but that one you writed is too much good and gorgeous. I hope you would continue hardwork.


    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed this post. I have read over a few other posts you have up and I will say you do a great job of blogging. Keep up the good work! I invite you to see my post, I hope you will find interesting too. usb voice recorder,Cyber Spy Notebook

    ReplyDelete