Friday, April 3, 2009

Pig tusk jewellery


When I was chosen for a Sneak Attack a few weeks ago I was also contacted by Pigatopia Studios about making some jewellery made from pig's tusks.

My first thought... interesting! ... and odd!! LOL but definitely interesting. I love the concept of using natural objects in jewellery. I have a good collection of shells and sea glass that I will be using in pieces once I have enough materials.

Of course I was up for the challenge and PS sent me pigtures of the tusks she had as well as a beautiful tusk necklace she had made by an artist who used a wire wrapping technique. Very beautiful.

My mind went in a different direction. Some of the pieces were about an inch around and I thought if I could drill holes in them I could use them as beads in hemp bracelets or necklaces.

That had me wondering how I would get fine holes in these tough pig's tusks. Thankfully my husband is home this week and he brought out his power drill and smallest bits and after a rough start he was able to get the perfect size hole in one of the tusk pieces. Eureka! I was able to easily slide a piece of hemp through the hole. Not too tight. Not too loose.

So far we just have the one piece drilled through but I will be making a plan for each piece over the next day or two and will continue to update this blog for anyone interested in my following the creation of pig tusk jewellery.

2 comments:

  1. I love it I cannot wait to see what you end up with. Great job on yuo rblog as well.

    Thanx
    shannon
    www.pigatopia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. How very interesting.

    Nice tribute and rememberance to you pet family.

    ~Lily

    ReplyDelete